Monday, January 25, 2010

Good running music

I don't know how many times I have been inspired to keep going during a run by the beat or lyrics of a song. Lately I've lost a little running mojo. It was supposed to easier than this - i just ran one LAST MONTH! But instead it has been hard. My knee has been giving me trouble and I'm not getting any faster. I felt extra pressure because I somehow became the boss of this and all of you are counting on me. And I'm going to come in last place. I know it doesn't matter but for some reason it was bringing me down. On Saturday's long run the song "the Middle" by Jimmy Eat World came on and the lyrics were like an answer to prayer: (orange italics added for emPHAsis)

Hey,
Don't write yourself off yet.
It's only in your head you feel left out,
Or looked down on.
Just try your best,
Try everything you can
.

And don't you worry what they tell themselves
When you're away.

[Chorus]
It just takes some time,
little girl, you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything, everything will be just fine,
Everything, everything will be alright. (alright)


Hey,
You know they're all the same.
You know you're doing better on your own, (on your own)
So don't buy in.
Live right now.
Yeah, just be yourself.
It doesn't matter if it's good enough (good enough)
For someone else.


It's true. We are in this to be the best we can be. Our only competition is ourselves. I have a very limited lung capacity due to my radiation and I need to be ok with being slow. If I beat my last half by 30 seconds - that's awesome - even if it's 30 minutes after all of you. This is good for us. We are strong. We can do hard things.

What is your favorite running song?

4 comments:

  1. Shelby, i'm still wondering if I can really do this and hoping to just stay up w/you...no matter the pace. And yeah, you really started something here...so no giving up. for me...anything by U2 gets me going...i'm working on building my song list...can we share? I don't have a huge library of music...I do have a little 'Clash' and of course some Elvis on hand to also get me started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey....we need to figure out hotels...i'll see if there are any military deals...but hmmmm. not sure....i will pay for convenience. ;0) k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, talk to Krista. She found a hotel through priceline. Right now we have a room at the Springhill Suites downtown, but mostly because Brock could use his points. I think we are open to other suggestions if we means we can all stay together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favorite running song! "So What" by Pink is a good one as well. I'm not a big Pink fan, but she calls her ex a "tool" in the song. Its awesome.

    ReplyDelete